Absenteeism is a concern for any business, whether an international organisation or a locally run firm with less than 10 employees.
But the inevitability is some of your staff members will have sick days from time to time.
A great way to manage the situation is with an absence manager tool. And in this guide we’re taking a close look at how it can work for your business.
If you’re in need of an absence management program, you can try BrightHR’s HR software to manage your daily processes.
What’s an absence manager tool?
It’s an HR tool that allows you to effectively manage your business’ absences. The software functions as a database—a way to maintain detailed information about ever missed day.
As absence can have such a big effect on small companies. Whether it’s a planned absence or one that’s due to sickness leave, you should keep a company record of which employees are off and at what time.
Some of the benefits of this process include the ability to:
- Monitor staff sickness: You can keep a record of any instances of time off from work, which can help you to see if any patterns emerge or if it’s a one-off. This can help you to assist an employee if they’re struggling with work or personal issues.
- Identify trends: Expanding on the above point, you’ll receive statistics for every employee. Review the details to work out the reasons for consistent absences.
- Establish a framework: Find the best practices for sickness management with consistent processes that establish the right absence strategy for your business.
- Empower employees: Your workforce can record their absences, which removes the sometimes difficult requirement of calling in sick.
- Lower absence rates: By understanding the root cause of what’s causing sick days, you can look to improve the processes in your business. This may include reducing excessive workloads or providing a better work-life balance.
Managing staff leave the easy way
An effective approach to staff management begins with effective tools. And if you have high rates of sickness absence it can be difficult to determine what the problem is.
In the past businesses were reliant on spreadsheets and other paper systems to track their various issues.
Staff leave management has come a long way since then. It’s now possible to track your team’s sick leave and lateness with the likes of an app. This allows you to:
- Document absences with ease and keep track of how much sick leave is in use for each employee.
- Organise and arrange cover with the help of the app.
- Scan fit notes and self-certification forms and keep these safely stored in the cloud.
- Receive push notifications to for reminders to check up on recovering employees.
An absence monitoring system allows you to keep track of staff and make a huge difference in lowering your absence rates.
If you understand the root cause of sick days, then you can work to make a change that’ll improve the situation.
This may be the equipment in your working environment, an underlying disability, or an employee lacking motivation. Absence recording software can help to unearth the problem and deal with it.
Looking for help?
We can set you up with industry-leading HR software that makes all the difference to your daily running. Call us today on: 0800 783 2806.