Developing the skills and talent of your employees shouldn’t be overlooked. Whether they’re new starters, or you’re introducing a new process on the site – training is required.
It’s important you provide employee training for your workforce. You need to make sure the training is high-quality, effective, and engaging for your staff.
An incorrect type of training could have negative effects such as disengagement, unhappy employees, and an unsafe environment.
In this guide, we’ll discuss why training is important, the different types you can provide and, the benefits that come from it for an employer.
Why is it Important to Train Staff?
The training and development of your staff is crucial. Training new employees is essential for any workplace to run effectively.
For example, hospitality workers would require food handling training. The quicker your new starters learn their role - the quicker productivity will increase.
Providing refresher training for all staff is also advised. Make sure all training is signed off by both parties, this will avoid conflict surrounding its completion.
What Are the Different Types of Training?
When it comes to providing your employees with training, make sure it’s engaging. Match the correct method for your employees. You need your staff to engage in order to learn and develop.
Here are employee development training ideas:
- eLearning: Training completed online via a computer, mobile or tablet. This training is cost-effective and often saves time.
- Coaching or mentoring: This training enables managers to build strong working relationships with their staff.
- Group activities: Group training builds communication between employees. This training has a range of benefits including morale, productivity, and confidence levels.
- Role-playing: This training recreates real-world situations. It helps show new employees what their day-to-day will be like.
- Employee engagement training: This specific course involves building stronger teamwork and communication via team-building exercises.
- On the job training: An effective method used in industries that are hands-on. Staff observe and learn the daily tasks of their position, before undertaking them.
- In-office training: Training for staff who’ll use company software on a daily basis.
How to Train Your Employees Effectively
There are many ways to make sure your staff training is effective for your employees. The following will make your training effective to employees:
- Defining the job: Outline the main responsibilities expected when training new employees.
- Communicating clearly: Sharing the outcomes of the training, and how they’ll be achieved.
- Asking for feedback: Don’t be afraid to ask employees for feedback on the training. Constructive criticism can help improve the quality of the training for both parties moving forward.
- Following up frequently: Schedule some one-to-one meetings to discuss progress made following the staff training.
- Setting up a regular staff training schedule: This could be an annual or six-monthly refresher course.
How to put together a training program
Creating a successful training program is key to employee development. The following steps will help you create a quality staff training schedule:
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of your workforce.
- Conduct an employee survey to find out the areas in that training is required.
- Prioritize which areas need training and plan accordingly.
- Create a training plan, for both individuals and groups.
What Are the Benefits of Employee Training?
There are many benefits to creating a staff training program. It shows the importance of investing in your employee’s development.
The benefits of training are:
- Improving your reputation as a company. Helping you reduce turnover and attract the best staff.
- Strengthening the skills of your workforce.
- Increasing employee productivity and engagement. The more trained employees are, the more confident they’ll feel.
- Building stronger working relationships between employees.
- Shows you are committed to current and new staff. Employees will feel appreciated if they’re given regular development opportunities.
Not providing the correct form of training could lead to your employees being disengaged.
If your staff aren’t engaged, they won’t absorb the information and learn.
Get Help with Your Training Today with BrightHR
It’s important to focus on your employee’s development. The more training your staff undertake, the more confident and qualified they’ll become. This will also lead to a range of benefits for your business.
If you need help with your employee training, BrightHR has a handy tool that will make the whole process easier for you.
BrightSafe allows you to keep any completed training records on file should you require them.