Getting your employee rota right is one of the most important parts of any manager’s routine. But it’s a tough gig to get right.
The good news is there’s a wealth of shift management software available that you can use to streamline your processes.
That’s what your guide is here for, so you can work out the best option for your business.
But first, it’s back to basics.
What’s shift planning?
It’s the process that determines a schedule that your workforce will work to. Employees then refer to it so they understand when their shift starts and ends.
The technology is part of HR software packages that are available.
Some business will also ask, “What is rota management?” Well, it’s shift planning—a list showing when employees have to do their job.
So it’s the same thing. Shift and rota are synonyms and you can use them interchangeably.
Traditionally, it was one of the more hated jobs in the business world as it required a manager to constantly edit a schedule.
Any shift swaps or cancellations proved time-consuming and annoying to implement.
It was an inefficient process few managers enjoyed. But automated and real-time digital technology now means it’s much easier to accomplish—and even enjoyable!
Why should you use rota management software?
It makes your day-to-day business life much easier due to the current technology that automates a lot of your needs in real-time.
Managing staff rotas is a complex task, you can simplify the process with the latest digital technology.
But do note there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach to this technology. Every business has unique demands and you’ll have to carefully consider what’s the right fit for your organisation.
So if you’re wondering what the best employee scheduling software is, it’s down to personal requirements.
Small and medium businesses often have totally different needs to larger ones—with a smaller workforce, you have less shifts to manage.
On an operational it’s less challenging, but you can still have over 100 of employees to manage.
If you have a particularly small team you can consider various options. Employee scheduling software (free Excel spreadsheets aside) is cost-effective even if you’re paying for a basic package.
So, in summary, here are some of the main benefits of using workforce management scheduling software:
- Reduce production time of your schedule: The right software removes the time-consuming nature of making a rota.
- Improve accuracy: Once you have all of your data organised, the software recognises conflict clashes in real-time. This ensures you never double-up again by mistake.
- Avoid over and understaffing: As with above, you can ensure you’ve got your workforce requirements perfected so there’s no overlap (or lack of employees at essential moments).
- Secure your staff data: Keep all of your important records secure in the cloud.
- Cut down on paper costs: Through a massive reduction in paper and ink usage you’ll have more ROI—it’s also much more convenient having all your information available in accessible software.
In short, a roster management system will provide you with significant ROI.
Alongside time and money saving opportunities, you have technology your employees will find accessible and beneficial for requirements such as shift swapping.
What you can do with employee task scheduling software
Whether you’re a small or medium sized business, you’ll want the software to document the following:
- Types of job roles.
- Contact details.
- Overtime requirements.
- Part-time or full-time status.
After that, it’s a case of organising your shifts in as time effective manner as possible.
Traditionally, pen and paper was in use for this task, creating a lot of extra hours each month. It was the bane of many a manger’s existence. But employee scheduling software for small businesses (as well as medium or otherwise) now enables you to:
- Make one rota—or several. The software is easy to use and your manager will be creating a schedule in record time.
- Use unlimited cloud storage for all the rotas you require.
- Once you have your schedule set, you can share it with your employees.
- Edit shifts as and when you need to—staff members receive automated updates so they’re always in the know.
- Take advantage of a rota management app to receive holiday requests and sick day notifications.
Your needs will vary depending on your company size. For those with fewer employees, it’s a common question to wonder about the best employee scheduling software for small businesses.
Really, it depends on what your requirements are—you can then adapt software to meet your needs. With real-time automation, accessibility, apps, and other fantastic features you can drag your shift planning into the 21st century with ease.
Need our help?
We can set you up with industry-leading rota software. Contact us for a free demo of what’s on offer: 0800 783 2806.